Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Low Down

I thought I'd give you all the low down on our lives. It's not terribly interesting, but that's alright. OK, we live in Orem, in my old house. A few months ago, my parents decided to move to American Fork, but to retain the house and let us rent it. Sweet! I love the house, and it's so nice not to be in that tiny apartment anymore. We have the yard- which is a little (a lot) daunting, the pool in the summer, and all that space! We are so grateful to my parents for this kindness to us. My sister, Liz, also lives there, which has been great. Eric works so much that it's nice to have her around. (Of course, she's more social than a teenage cheerleader, so it's hard to catch her.) We moved to the house at the end of December, and are hoping to stay until we leave for Dental School. (I capitalize those words to emphasize their importance!)

Eric works at the Provo Mariott as the night Banquet Supervisor. They pay him well, but I'm not sure that he really likes it. It usually affords him time to study during the down times, and I know he likes a lot of the people he works with. But he's been there a long time, and the hours are hard. He goes to UVSC full time, and has a side job grading chemistry papers for a professor there. He can take the papers to work or home with him, and that's a nice bit of extra income for us. He's usually gone to school by the time I wake up in the mornings, and only comes home between school and work some days. In the days I was working I wouldn't see him when he did come home, but I'm between jobs now, so I do get to have that bit of time with him. Then he goes to work around 3:00, and comes home no earlier than 11:00 in most cases. It's often been later. Then he takes a while to unwind from work, gets as much sleep as possible, and gets up to do it again. Sometimes I wonder of I feel the monotony of his days more than he does, because I surely complain more. He is so hard working and determined to do well, it's like he doesn't think about all he's missing out on to do it. Or maybe he does, and still doesn't complain- which makes it more impressive. All I can say is THANK HEAVENS for him. I certainly could not get on without him, in any sense. He's such a wonderful guy.

As I mentioned, I'm between jobs. So if anyone knows of some available office work, please let me know. I have been working part time, but with the semester almost over and Eric not going to school during the summer (hurrah!), I'll be able to work full time soon. I think his finals get over the third week this month. So I spend a lot of time with Riley, obviously, and it's more fun now that I don't feel so sick (with the pregnancy) and the weather is getting warmer. Of course, we did have an incident a little over a week ago. Riley broke her leg- again. She broke the other leg in the exact same spot, almost exactly a year ago, in exactly the same way. Trampoline. The doctor said they call this the "trampoline break" because it's so common. She's too young to know to anticipate the movement of the tramp, so when it's coming up from a bounce, she doesn't know to bend her knees. So she's got the pressure of the tramp forcing up, and the weight of her body pulling down- CRACK! A break in the bone just below the kneecap. So she's in a cast that reaches up past her knee for two more weeks. Poor thing is amazingly stoic about it all. She fussed at first, obviously because of the pain (even that she handled extremely well) and because she couldn't bend her knee. But now all the ever makes an issue about is when she occasionally has an itch under the cast. Gross. I've never had a cast, but I can only imagine how crazy it would make me to not be able to reach an itch.

OK, this has already gotten way too long, and I didn't even get into a lot that I was going to say. I guess this is what I mean about over sharing- who cares about all these details but me? Well, I'll read this post, and maybe even leave a comment!

3 comments:

Erin and Spencer said...

Okay, I know just how you feel. I go to school in the mornings and then straight to work. Spencer doesn't get home from work till late and I get SOOO lonely. It will be worse though when he starts grad school so I better get used to it! Where are you guys thinking of going to dental school? Poor Riley....

Emily said...

Sounds like all 3 of us are in the same boat. My husband works 55+ hours a week, and has 14 credits for school. My life consists of mainly seeing Krew. I guess that's what happens when your young and poor and still trying to get through school... anyway - You need to write more :) I love hearing about your life. We don't keep in touch like we should and I miss you so much! That's what's so fun about these blogs... I LOVE that all 3 of us have one now. Side note about the maternity bathing suit... I don't have one and don't really plan on looking for one. I wore my regular bathing suit with a tank top over it when I was pregnant with Krew and that worked just fine. That's what I plan on doing again this time around unless I gain an enormous amount of weight. But if I do happen across anything cute I'll let you know!

Sarah said...

You don't over share at all, it is good to hear honesty and great comments! I am so happy you started a blog, now I will feel like we are actually friends. Hope all is going well!