Monday, April 28, 2008

People Still Do That?!


Last year I worked with a girl who I didn't really like. I won't mind if she reads this, because neither of us liked each other, and we both knew it. She littered.... and was proud of it. (This wasn't the only reason I didn't like her.) She said she threw things out of her window as she was driving to "give the inmates something to do". Two points:
  1. Of all the obtuse things I've heard, this was ranked at the top. I don't need to point out that littering isn't OK just because someone will pick it up, even if it always was picked up (which it, of course, isn't), and that inmates don't pick up trash everywhere, and that it will make the area look horrible until the inmates pick it up- if they ever do, etc. Needless to say, I was horrified.
  2. Her husband was recently released from a Federal Penitentiary, so she is the person least qualified to point her nose down at the "inmates".
I can't believe that there are still people like that out there. In this day and age, with the evidence staring us in our faces every time we leave the house, people still put trash on the ground? I was walking into Harmon's the other day and saw a woman drop her wrapper on the ground about five steps from the trash can. I just stared. Couldn't believe it.

It's like smoking. Who in the world starts smoking now? If you started in the '80's when it was cool or, even better, in the 60's, when no one knew better, that's one thing. But to START now, with all the information about how bad it is, the harm it does, who still starts smoking? I'm baffled.

So, please people, don't litter. With all the information we have about how bad it is, the harm it does, please use a trash can. I'm not trying to preach, I'm just asking you to think about exactly what you're doing, before you do it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally agree with the not littering thing. What are some people thinking. Also, this weekend wouldn't work out for us either because of Drew's job. So just let us know when you guys can make it. We usually go the third Saturday of each month, so if you guys would like to go then we could do that. Hope all is going well!

Erin and Spencer said...

yeah... Spencer definetly has a strange sense of humor... we do need to hang out... okay. First, what are your current schedules like? Is lunch better? Is dinner better? Weekends are probably best right?