Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's Been A While...

What a slacker I am! I haven't posted almost all month- not too much has happened that's blog worthy, but to all my faithful readers (all three of you), I apologize.

I have had a WONDERFUL past few days-- so wonderful that I felt they needed to be preserved on the web. Eric and I both arranged to have Memorial Day and Tuesday off, hoping to go camping or something. The horrible weather prevented it, so we were left to amuse ourselves... indoors. We went to the aquarium in Sandy for part of the day, which was a lot of fun. Riley loves the animals, but even they weren't enough of a pull to keep her attention for extremely long. We went to Eric's mom's house for dinner that night- delicious steaks!- and Eric and I got to watch a movie together after Riley went to sleep. Tuesday is a pre school day for Riley, so after we dropped her there at 11, we headed off to Home Depot to furnish our garden with flowers. We've done quite a bit in our backyard, but mostly in the form of beans, pumpkins, herbs, strawberries, etc. It's satisfying, but not aesthetically so. We need flowers. Novices that we are, we spent a good two hours wandering around the outdoor nursery making our plans. We finally selected what I feel is an excellent mix of beauties. I don't know most of the names, but once we get them blooming, I'll post a picture. I do know we have salvia, poppies, Asiatic lilies, and some nice desert grass. Beautiful-- aesthetically pleasing. After dropping a wad of cash at HD, we took our loot home and went to lunch at the Red Robin. I love that place! Most of you know me as a massive carnivore, always ready for more meat. Alas, this pregnancy is leaving me wanting less meat and more fruit (thankfully, this doesn't seem to apply to steaks, although I do eat smaller portions). Not a bad development, but sad for me. I normally get the Royal Burger- the nice juicy burger topped with a fried egg. Love it. But that's not working for me lately, so I got an equally tasty seafood pasta dish. Also love it. It's been a while since we've been out to lunch not at Wendy's, so this was really nice. Eating without having to urge Riley to eat or reprimanding her for throwing food, etc. is always a welcome change. After lunch, we went on to Lowe's- HD didn't have a satisfactory watering can or the Asiatic lilies we wanted- and then home to plant. It was early afternoon by this point, and not an overly hot day, so it was pleasant to work outside. Eric and I both figured out that our dislike of gardening surely comes from our childhoods, where our parents had us weed and pick up their pruning clippings, and called that gardening. We're finding- especially Eric!- that it's a lot of fun to make plans and carry them out. I still don't care for weeding, but what can you do? So anyway, we got Riley from school, fed her dinner, and then picked up her first ever non family member babysitter. My mom had given us movie tickets, and I figured it was high time that she had a hired sitter. We asked a girl from our ward, and she did a great job. We went with my parents to see the new Indiana Jones movie- not bad. Not a classic, but who was expecting that? It was cheesy and fun, which I'm pretty sure is what they were going for. We got home after the movie to find Riley sound asleep. What a perfect day! (I don't mean it was perfect because I hardly saw Riley, but she's been kind of... hard to handle lately, and this was a most needed break.)

Thanks to my great husband. I love you for lots of different reasons, but I most of all love you for being such a good friend to me. I love how much fun we can have together. Thanks, babe!

1 comments:

Emily said...

I hear ya on the "hard to handle" child. I have one of those... BIG TIME this week. I wish I could ship him off to grandma's for the weekend for a break. Sounds like you guys had a fun day/weekend. Glad your blogging again. I've missed you