Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Heart Emmylou

Confession: I have a girl crush on Emmylou Harris



This woman is amazing, and I was lucky enough to see her live the other day. When we found that she was coming to Red Butte Gardens, Liz and I rushed to get tickets, and have been eagerly awaiting this concert. We got up to Salt Lake by 3:00 (the concert started at 7:00) to wait in line to get good seats. While we were waiting, we could hear her warming up! We were truly giddy. While surrounded by yuppies and hippies alike, Liz and I played the "What Concert Is She Going To?", trying to guess, if not Emmylou, where our fellow concert goers would be going. There were a huge number of Jimmy Buffet fans in attendance, as well as-- of course-- Indigo Girls supporters. It was hot as Hades out there while we waited, and even shaded by our gigantic umbrella, we were getting pretty soggy. Finally-- finally-- they opened the gates at 6:00, and then the race began. There were only about 50- 60 people ahead of us in line, but that seems like a lot more when they're all running next to you, trying to beat you to the best spot. Liz and I plunked down in a spot a respectable distance from the stage, just behind the reserved seating, only to see that there was still a little bit of room AHEAD of the reserved seats! (I should explain that at Red Butte, you bring blankets and low chairs to sit on, and don't get the assigned spots unless you pay a lot more.) The vacant spot we saw was no more that 20 feet from the stage-- how could such a prime spot be vacant? I wondered if it was too good to be true, and that it was vacant because you had to have special clearance to sit there. We didn't see staff checking up on anyone before allowing them into the area, but all the same, I didn't want to lose our decent spot where we were, and then be turned away from up front. A dilemma. Liz was bold enough to go down and ask the people next to the open spot, and as far as they knew, you didn't have to pay more to sit there. Sweet! So, loaded down like pack mules, we hefted our gear up to the very front of the venue! (We had four chairs- Liz had two friends joining us- a cooler, a back pack and a bag full of blankets and non-refrigerated foods, that huge umbrella, and my purse. Wow.) So we settled in to wait for Stephanie and Steve, Liz's friends, and then for the concert to start! Emmylou came out, unannounced, in her casual clothes to sing a song with the opening duo- how cool is that?

Then she came out- we swooned. Liz and I had our pictures taken "with" her-- notice how close we are to the stage!
















She is amazing. We had a great time! She sang some songs that we know and love, and some songs from her new album that we intend to know and love. When she sang "Red Dirt Girl", I got the chills. I heart Emmylou.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new layout of your blog....so cute! Also I just wanted you to know that I have a girl crush on you!

That looks like tons of fun!

I miss you.

Erin and Spencer said...

you hardly even look pregnant! Gain some weight!! :) ..... we DO need to get together!